It may not be as inevitable as the law of gravity, but when Murphy’s Law strikes, it can hit hard, and always at the worst possible time. Things break. You’re all soaped up and ready to go, when… you find yourself showering in icy water. That sinking feeling begins, turning slowly into dread, because although you know you can fix it, you also know it’s going to cost a pretty penny.
But panic not! There is a way to have an emergency repair done, without paying through the nose for it. In fact, you could have it done with nothing to pay on the spot simply as part of a service that protects you all year round.
Electricity failure repair service
We all groan and roll our eyes when we remember how life used to be before the internet, but can you imagine living without electricity? It’s hardly prehistory; in fact, it was ‘only’ 100 years ago that electricity supply became commonplace in Spain’s cities.
The problem is jumping back 100 years in the space of a second. The time it takes for your electrics to blow. The majority of power cuts are to do with the distribution company and you need to get in touch with them if the rest of your building or the rest of your street is without power too.
However, sometimes, the fault can affect only your property. A foolproof way to check this is to see whether the lights are still working in the stairway of your building, for example. Or you could just ask your neighbours.
When it’s just you who’s without power, the distribution company can’t do a thing, and it’s up to you to call out an electrician, urgently. If this doesn’t sound like it will be cheap, it’s because it isn’t! Limiting ourselves to reasonable figures, we are probably looking at €20 for the callout and around €40 per hour for the work, although these prices may vary depending on the day of the week and the time of day that you call.
There is a much easier solution. Sign up to a service like OKLuz Assist.
- If you have an emergency with your electrical installations, you can have a professional contractor at your door in less than three hours.
- The callout is free, and so are the first three hours of work (and it is very uncommon for the repair to take longer than that).
- You are entitled to an unlimited number of repairs to the electrical installations in your home.
- The service is operational 24/7, all year round, with a freephone number that is constantly in service: 900 85 86 85.
- The service also includes one white-goods repair a year, and two electrical services (e.g. changing of sockets or switches, installation of light fittings, etc.).
Gas failure repair service
When it comes to heating, there is a much simpler rule of thumb that goes hand in hand with Murphy’s law: you only realise something is broken when you need it (or, put differently, you don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone!). Why does the heating always go on the blink when the weather is at its coldest? Mystery solved!
Whether you’ve got a boiler or a heater, if cold weather sets in, the situation will likely be so bad as to force you to move out of your home if it doesn’t get fixed pronto. No-one wants to spend the night in a bedroom where it’s less than 10°C, or take a shower in freezing cold water.
At times like this, however much of a hurry you’re in, it is unwise to simply go with the first contractor you can find. It’s not just a matter of money, but above all, you mustn’t leave your boiler or heater in the hands of just anybody. Thus, the solution is a maintenance service such as OKGas or OKGas Calentador:
- Endesa-accredited professionals.
- At your door in three hours or less.
- Callout + first three hours of labour free of charge.
- Unlimited repairs. If your boiler breaks down three times in a year, it will be repaired three times in a year – simple as that.
- Any time, any day, all year round.
Home repair and maintenance service
In theory, it should be severe breakdowns that land you in hot water. What is the reality, though? What happens when it’s not serious? Typically, there are things we all say we know how to do, but have never actually done. Promising that you’re going to put up a new light fitting is one thing; actually getting down to the job and finding that it takes you all afternoon is quite another.
In theory, it should be easy to do, but in practice, what do you do to make sure it hangs straight and you can’t see the wires? What do you do when you find you haven’t got time to finish the job? Worse still, what do you do when you get started and find, to your horror, that you actually don’t know what you’re doing? Do you pay an electrician just for that small job? Do you call your brother-in-law to ask a favour?
Of course you don’t. The best thing you can do is forget about botching the job, and let the professionals take care of it. If you have had the foresight to take out a service such as OKLuz Assist qualified electricians are at your beck and call to:
- Install light fittings.
- Change sockets or switches.
- Change bulbs and halogen lights.
- Change doorbells.
Electrical appliance repair service
You are surrounded, everywhere you look, by devices that could break down: the fridge, the washing machine, the dishwasher, oven, ceramic stove, and many more. Just as it looks like magic when they work, one day, you’ll swear it’s witchcraft when they give up on you! What do you do when one of these marvellous devices goes on the fritz? You could call an emergency technician, but you risk leaving your appliance in the hands of a professional you know nothing about, and who can sometimes demand up to €100 just for coming out to you.
Alternatively, you could take out a service such as OKLuz Assist:
- One repair a year, on the sole condition that the appliance is from the ‘white goods’ range: washing machine, dryer, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, extraction hood, oven, ceramic stove or electric stove.
- The service also includes repairs to the electrical installations around your home, and two electrical handyman jobs a year.