9) Make sure that it is not directly exposed to sunlight: deciding where to install it is not a matter of aesthetics. Make sure that it is in a place where the air circulates, and that it is not close to electrical household appliances or lamps.
10) Turn it OFF when you go: if you leave it on so that the house is cool when you return is like parking your car and leaving the engine on.
10 Tips without air conditioning
1) Use a cheap alternative: if you click here, you will find efficient fans for under 60 euros. According to the IDAE (Institute for Energy Diversification and Saving), the thermal sensation can be lowered by up to 5 degrees.
2) Ventilate the house when there is less heat (at sunrise) and then protect it with closed windows and lowered blinds.
3) Do not cook at a high temperature: cold dishes will prevent that heat from spreading to the rest of the house.
4) Avoid heavy food digestion: this increases your body temperature, so this is not the best time to put away a hot stew. Alcohol will dehydrate you. Coffee, tea and coke will also increase your body temperature.
5) Sleep at a low height: heat rises, so you should go down to the basement (if you have one) or even put the mattress on the floor.
6) Lukewarm showers: the water should be one degree lower than your body temperature (=around 35ºC). Although you will prefer a cold shower, a lukewarm one will have a better effect.
7) White cotton clothing: avoid synthetic fibres that attract the heat. The same can be said for your pillow.
8) Stop the heat from getting in by using awnings, curtains, blinds and vegetation: everything adds up and a balcony with vegetation can reduce your house temperature by a couple of degrees; a good awning even more.
9) Cool down sheets and pillowcases: this is known as the Egyptian method and is designed for extreme heat. The idea is to place the bed linen (protected inside plastic bags) in the freezer and then take it out when you go to bed.
10) Drink plenty of water and walk under the shade: although it is patently obvious, we must include this tip since good dehydration is fundamental so that all of the above works.