The most common air conditioner breakdowns
There are several particularly frequent breakdowns that are hard to see coming. They simply occur and leave you to fend for yourself against the heat:
- The air conditioner doesn’t cool down: the king of all problems. No matter how much cooling you ask for, it just won’t provide it, and its effect on the room is practically unnoticeable. What is going on? The engine might have an error, there may be a leak that has left the circuit without any pressure.
- The air conditioner smells bad: so bad that we need to turn it off. It may be due to deficient drainage (can be fixed with a siphon) or there may be fungi in the battery.
- The air conditioner makes noise: to the point that it may be difficult to hold a conversation or it may be necessary to turn up the TV volume in order to hear it. The most common cause (though by no means, the only one) is an error in the compressor.
And this is only the top 3 of the annoyances, given that an air conditioner can fail at any time, and for many other reasons.
How to guarantee yourself a cool summer
There are only 3 ways to guarantee that your home will not be an oven this summer:
1. If there is a breakdown, you’ll fix it yourself: the reality is that you're probably not capable. Besides cleaning the filters and basic servicing for the air conditioner, the other tasks necessary require a professional.
2. If there is a breakdown, you’ll look for a technician: and without a doubt, you’ll find one, but start saving your money and patience. On the one hand, a specialist who has to come urgently can easily charge you 60 euros for a basic repair (20 for travel and 40 for one hour of labour). On the other hand, in the middle of a heatwave, you're not going to be the only one to call, and you’ll have to add your name to the queue and see when they come to your house.
3. If there is a breakdown, your maintenance service takes care of it: the old saying that the prevention is better than the cure, but applied to the topic at hand. Don't play around. Subscribe to a maintenance service that covers everything that could happen.
OKLuz Confort guarantees your peace of mind
In one single service, you can have the maintenance of your air conditioning covered, as well as your electrical installation. It is billed each month to your electricity bill and includes all of the following:
- Annual air conditioning review, including all adjustments necessary to maximise your energy efficiency.
- Unlimited breakdown repairs, in both air conditioning and your electrical installation: you have a free number (900 85 86 85) which you can call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. If it is urgent, a professional accredited by Endesa will arrive at your house within 3 hours.
- One major home appliance repair per year.
- One electric boiler repair per year.
- Two electrical handyman services per year: tasks of three hours each, such as, installing lighting fixtures and fittings, changing plugs and switches, etc.
During the first year, if you sign up online, you get all of this for 4.50 euros per month. You can purchase the guarantee of having peace of mind for the price of breakfast.
And in addition to everything you see, there’s also what you don't see but we haven’t mentioned: correctly maintaining your air conditioning means reducing your breakdowns by 1/3, in addition to optimising your electrical consumption, and as a result, paying less on the electricity bill.