Checking gas boilers is a worry for many. When should they be checked? Who should check them? How do you pay for it?
If you too have worried about these issues, read on.
Review vs. Inspection
The first thing to do is to differentiate between checking and inspecting gas boilers:
- Inspections are for general gas installations.
- Gas checks are for boilers, tanks, heaters…
According to the Regulations on Thermal Installations in Buildings (RITE) both are mandatory, but with certain differences. We will explain these below.
The boiler review
- Mandatory every two years for devices up to 70kW (the most common individual systems). In the Basque Country it is mandatory every year.
- The owner of the boiler is responsible for the check being carried out within the established period. The check can be performed by any authorised professional, whether this is a gas supplier, the boiler supplier or an independent technician. You choose who carries out the check (compare prices and then decide).
- Community boilers are checked every 2 months. The company with whom the community has signed a maintenance is in charge of the checking.
- Boilers with a higher power (<70kW) should be checked every year. If you have a boiler with a maximum power output of 24.4kW (11 litres), it should be checked every 5 years.
Our advice: contract a maintenance services o you don’t have to worry about arranging for your boiler to be checked. You have enough to think about. It is worth it, really.
Inspection of your installation
- Mandatory every five years, except in the Basque Country, where it has to be carried out every four years.
- The gas distribution company is responsible for informing users when an inspection is due. This will be done three months before the period established by Law.
- Users can choose to use their company to carry out the inspection or another authorised company/professional.
- If the established period elapses and the distribution company does not receive the documentation to prove that the inspection has been carried out, it shall send its own staff to do so.
- The cost of the inspection, regardless of who does it, shall always be paid through ordinary gas bills.
Our advice: as with the boilers, the best option is to hire a maintenance service that includes both the boiler check and the installation inspection.