How much does it cost to register a new electricity connection?
The best way to calculate how much it costs to register for a new electricity supply is to take into account the various expenses associated with items related to the new contract, which will be detailed in your first bill.
These items are:
- Extension fees: 17.30 €/kW is paid for the electricity supply to properly reach your home or business from the power grid. This cost only applies to urban land, if it is not on urban land (example: in the country) the cost will be different. If the contracting is being done in a house that has had electricity connected less than 3 years ago, you will not have to bear this cost.
- Access fees: 19.70 €/kW, this cost has to be paid to cover the costs of expanding Spain's common power grid, in order to support the new contracts. It applies to all new supply contracts or increased contracted power of an existing supply.
- Grid connection charge: 9.04 € fixed, this is paid when any activity is performed on your metering equipment. For example, installing the meter, increasing the capacity or making a change to the time slots.
- Security deposit: 10.54 € - 13.10 € per kW, as set out in Article 79 of Royal Decree 1955/2000, this security deposit is not a cost, but a deposit like that of a rental home. If the supply contract is cancelled or the contract holder changes, this deposit is refunded.
All these charges are paid in your first bill.
There is another cost, Verification fees, which only applies to changes in supplies that have been provided for over 20 years. The cost is 8.01 € fixed, and must be paid when the installation is reviewed
Let's look at a very illustrative and frequent example. The price of registering for a new electricity supply in a new home and they contract 3 kW of power.
If the electricity supply is being contracted in a home or premises that has not been without electricity for less than 3 years, it is not considered a new contract but a reactivation. In this case, there is no need pay the cost of extension fees.
Other expenses associated with registering for a new electricity supply:
There are amounts that are fixed and others that depend on the power in kW you want to contract. In calculating how much it costs to register for a new electricity supply we have set contracting electricity with 3 kW of power as an example.
The Spanish average for new electricity supply contracts is between 3 kW and 4 kW. It is important to have an estimate of the power you want to contract, as that will influence the final price of the electricity being contracted.
In addition, there may also be other contracting expenses associated with the purchase and installation of metering equipment, such as being charged a deposit or fees, etc. In the case of the deposit, the amount paid will be refunded after the last bill has been settled at the time the contract is cancelled.
How much does it cost to register for your gas supply?
In the case of new gas supply contracts the installation prices will depend on two factors.
Firstly, the volume of gas you want to contract. In the case of gas this value is measured in kWh (kilo watts per hour).
Secondly, in the case of new supply contracts the cost of the building work required between the gas network and the end customer must also be added. This expense is calculated based on the metres required minus 6 metres (borne by the company).
Costs of registering for a new gas supply
The costs of register for a new gas supply or the costs of reactivating a supply point that has not been used for more than five years are regulated in Royal Decree 1434/2002 of 14 December. These costs are associated with items related to the new contract that are included in the first bill. These items are:
- Applicant's service connection charges: 104.20 € for the length of the service connection (number of metres minus 6 metres), you pay the distribution company to install a new supply point or to increase the capacity of an existing one. If this amount were negative, it would be considered to be 0 €. If you buy a house that has already been built, you will not have to bear this cost, because the developer will have already paid it. This cost is paid for the gas supply to properly reach your home or business.
- Service connection charges of the contractor (contract holder): between 106.34 € and 488.83 € according to the estimate of kWh per year to be consumed. It is paid at the time of contracting and only in first occupation.
- In the event the supply contract is terminated, the connection charges shall be maintained for a period of 5 years.
- Registration fees: the registration fees are fixed by the autonomous communities (see table below) and paid when contracting the channelled gas supply service or by extending the existing one. These fees include the grid connection services and verification of the installations.
- Security deposit: as laid down in Article 79 of Royal Decree 1955/2000, this is the amount to be delivered, at the time of contracting, for an amount equal to the theoretical monthly billing amount corresponding to fifty hours of use of the contracted power. This security deposit is not a cost, but a deposit like that of a rental home. If the supply contract is cancelled or the contract holder changes, this deposit is refunded.
Price of new gas supply registration charges according to the autonomous communities
As mentioned above, the price of new gas supply registration charges depends on the criteria of each autonomous community. In addition, to complicate things further it is also stipulated according to the gas power contracted. There are 4 possible scenarios:
- Price of scenario 3.1: consumption less than 5,000 kWh per year. This is the gas that is usually contracted in homes that allocate consumption to only use gas for hot water.
- Price of scenario 3.2: consumption between 5,000 and 50,000 kWh per year. Suitable for new gas supply contracts in homes with gas heating.
- Price of scenario 3.3: consumption from 50,000 to 100,000 kWh per year. The most common in new gas supply contracts in shops or homes that foresee high gas consumption.
- Price of scenario 3.4: consumption greater than 100,000 kWh per year. Generally intended for businesses or resident communities.
So many factors influence the price of registering for a new gas supply that it will be better understood with an example:
The situation is registering for a new gas supply in Zaragoza for a house with heating and water. In this case, it would be sufficient to contract approximately 8000 kWh per year. In this case, specifically for the connection there is a need to carry out work spanning 5 metres.
You should know that if you contract both electricity and gas with Endesa together, you will be eligible for additional discounts and benefits.
Recommendation before contracting
Before registering, check whether you really need a new supply contract. Sometimes we confuse registering a new supply contract with changing contract holder, and this may entail having to pay certain costs that we shouldn't have to bear.
You only need to register for a new supply contract when there is no supply in the house (new occupancy) or the previous supply has been disconnected.
You need to change contract holders if there is still supply, but it is not in your name, that is, for example, when the supply contract belonged to the previous owner. It is better to change contract holders than to disconnect the supply and then reconnect it, as this will avoid many of the costs mentioned above.
If this is your case, before registering for a new supply contract, ask about changing contract holders and view the following content:
How to change the holder of the electricity and/or gas contract?