Smart metering allows reading electricity consumption and carrying out operations remotely through the development of a state-of-the-art communications system between smart meters that replace traditional electricity meters, and the electricity company.
Developed jointly by Endesa and Enel, this system is based on Enel’s tried and tested solutions and the experience provided by Endesa. Endesa has adapted it to its business requirements and to Spanish regulations. The technology developed by Enel is now used in more than 33 million meters worldwide and its efficiency has made it a global benchmark.
The smart meter is the main element of the smart metering system. Its installation involves a great change in customer relations. New Spanish and European legislation promotes the implementation of meters which contribute to an active role of consumers in the electricity market and to efficiency in the end use of energy. In order to comply with this legislation, Endesa is developing a plan to replace all meters for customers with contracted power up to 15 kW, i.e., domestic supply.
Endesa is the leading and pioneering company in smart metering and currently has the largest number of smart meters installed nationwide. Its system has been in operation since October 2010. Endesa’s remote management plan not only involves installing meters but also hubs in the substations.
Endesa’s smart metering system offers many advantages:
- Remote meter reading.
- Billing based on real readings, avoiding estimate bills.
- All operations concerning supply (connections, disconnections, power or rate modifications, etc.) are performed remotely.
- Remote operations are performed within 24 hours in most cases.
- Incidents are detected and identified faster.
- Better information on energy consumption, encouraging energy saving and efficiency.
The new meters are:
- Smarter by facilitating remote consumption readings and operations.
- More flexible because contracted rates can be adapted to consumption habits.
- More efficient by providing energy consumption to contribute to saving and responsibly using energy.
With the implementation of the new hourly readings, bill estimates can be eliminated and customers now have new tools to improve their energy efficiency and detailed information about their consumption.
The implementation of these smart meters is also a huge step forward for Endesa in the fight against electricity fraud and improving the safety of installations, given that these devices are equipped with sophisticated anti-fraud mechanisms that help to identify possible manipulations via alarms and alerts that are recorded by the remote management system, which also sends an alert if an installation is at risk of being tampered with or any other neighbouring ones.