First, because basketball is considered the second biggest sport in terms of content and attendance and is a suitable platform to bring value to the form of brand positioning adopted by Endesa, based on messages and important concepts as those contained in its "Blue Attitude" campaign.
Second, because this sponsorship offers a great deal of exposure (for the first time in its history the Spanish Basketball League will have a company name), it has a clear leadership component (exclusively sponsor of a sport in which Spain excels internationally both at club and country level) and, like Endesa´s own brand strategy, it is an ongoing and long term project.
Third, because public perception of basketball connects with and reinforces some of the main attributes of the “Blue Attitude” campaign:
- It is an intelligent sport, in which tactics vary and change in each game.
- It is an innovative and modern sport, where rules and organisation are constantly changing to make it more attractive.
- It is a sport that perfectly demonstrates the importance of understanding and teamwork ahead of the individual.
- It is a household sport, with a strong family and youth element.
- It is a sport that reflects sporting values, in which violent incidents are exceptional.
Fourth, because it represents an efficient response to Endesa´s declared intention that its institutional advertising initiatives are an important part of its commercial strategy (and vice versa):
- The sponsorship offers key commercial and direct marketing possibilities in the stadiums during matches, with a potential attendance or more than five million people a season.
- The opportunities for public relations and hospitality provided by the agreement will facilitate the development of initiatives to encourage client loyalty (part of the company´s commercial strategy).
- The agreement opens the door to commercial promotional events in strategic sites outside stadiums.
- The most competitive teams in the ACB, with the largest fan base, are found in Endesa’s five traditional operating regions in Spain and in areas of commercial strategic importance for the company.
Fifth, because the image that this sponsorship gives in the different communications media and channels accurately reflects Endesa´s 360º strategy that it is promoting in its advertising campaigns: to build a presence in both general and specialised press, TV, foreign media, on line media (1.3 million individual users register on ACB´s digital platform each month),etc.
What objectives does Endesa expect to achieve with this deal?
- To further the process of strengthening and repositioning the Endesa brand name , which began in November 2010 with the "Blue Attitude" campaign, giving it a new and significant boost through an initiative that is extremely high-profile, original and different to any that the current campaign has used previously.
- Endesa will join, in a very visible way, the group of large Spanish companies that are big sport sponsors, thus confirming its position as one of the leading entities in the Spanish business world.
- To secure a key position in the sphere of sports sponsorship through a deep, long-term commitment to the sport with the second largest national league following in Spain.
- To underline the perception that Endesa is a deeply committed company with projects that are of interest and benefit to Spanish society.
- To achieve a high return on its investment in terms of recognition, value and brand impact.